Managing Your Weight
We know that many people worry about gaining weight when they stop smoking. In order to manage your weight, it’s helpful to understand how your body changes and how our products can help.
Nicotine Affects Your Metabolism and Appetite
Nicotine (a substance found in cigarettes and NRT) increases your metabolic rate, so your body burns calories faster, and suppresses your appetite. If you quit smoking, your metabolic rate may drop meaning that your body burns calories more slowly. Nicotine Replacement therapy can help control your weight when you stop smoking so find the right product(s) for you.
Tips for Managing Your Weight
Following these simple tips can help you watch your weight when you quit smoking:
- Exercise regularly. Try walking or cycling to work or when you go to meet your friends or start a gym class.
- Combat hunger pangs by keeping a stash of healthy treats to hand. Nuts, dried fruit, fresh fruit and veg sticks are ideal.
- Eat smaller portions of food until your metabolism has stabilised. Remember it takes 20 minutes for you to feel full after eating, so take a break (go for a walk) after your main meal and see if you still feel hungry in half an hour. If so, dip into your healthy treats.
- Try using a healthy-recipe book for your meals.
- Limit your alcohol intake.